[SLUG] proxy/gateway/n'stuff

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 03:22:56 EDT

    Dear friends of the Slug list,
I have been spending some time reading the articles in aboutdebian.com.
What I have learned has only led me to more questions (as tends to be
the trend in my life so far). How much processing power and memory
should I have to set up a proxy server/gateway-router for my home
network? Would a 500MB processor w/~300MB ram do it? Are there any
pros or cons to beefing up the power? If I should set up such a deal,
would I be able to double it as a web/mail server, or would I be better
off using a different machine for that purpose? I'm sure that all of
you can tell that I am limited in these arts, so what kind of a quest do
I have in front of me to achieve such goals? Thank you in advance.
--Michael