[SLUG] Road Runner Dilema (OT)

From: Branko (kozmo3k@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 19:37:05 EDT

This is a little off Linux subject, but is still tech.....
I just cleaned up a windooze Me box for a friend (all the usual
spyware/malware/virus stuff) and installed a NIC (Belkin F5D5000) in
her 'puter; she had only a modem, since she was using AOL dial-up, but
just signed up for RoadRunner.
When I connected it to my router (WRT54G), it aquired IP address and
got onto Internet OK. When I took it back to her house and connected
it to her cable/telephone modem (Star-something, by Scientific
Atlanta), it will not connect to Internet. After a call to Brighthouse
(very nice lady on the phone) and some painfull troubleshooting steps
slater, still no connection. I got out my laptop (running Fedora 4)
and pluged it in to the modem, it connected w/o problems. From what I
could see, TCP/IP is not binding to the network card, but I can't seem
to find a way to fix it.
So, off to Google I go, but any advise from the group would be gratly
appreciated.
Thanks
./B