Re: [SLUG] FISH?

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 03:16:42 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Robert Snyder wrote:
>
>> Eben King wrote:

>>> I've only heard of it (in a computer sense) referring to an encryption
>>> algorithm.
>>>

>> The algorithm you speak of is known as blowfish.
>>

> Yup, sho is. Never mind then.
>
> Based on http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2005/04/hotel-rwanda-fish-fdo.html ,
> fish:// sounds like scp

Actually, it sounds a lot like sshfs/shfs (http://shfs.sf.net,
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html), only entirely in userspace as a
KIO conduit. The basic idea is to run remote shell commands to build a
directory listing and whatnot. Using "scp" alone (really only a secure
drop-in replacement for the old BSD r* utils, ala "rcp"), wouldn't buy
you directory listings and file deletion/moves, etc. This is why sftp
was devised. With scp plus some basic shell commands like "ls" and
"rm", a filesystem can be presented over an ssh session in a more ad-hoc
fashion. This is what sshfs/shfs and fish:// appear to do.

WinSCP used to use something similar. They've since added sftp
functionality. There is some mention of it on the rssh page
(http://www.pizzashack.org/rssh/index.shtml).

There are some links to sshfs/shfs etc on my cornfs braindump post:

    http://ian.blenke.com/cornfs/

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com