Re: [SLUG] New Windows Singularity

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 22:32:26 EST

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, michael hast wrote:

> >Not at all. NT 3.5 was all new code. Nothing from Windows 1.0 was in it.
> >They started adding some Win32 stuff in W2k and XP for program
> >compatibility. I like W2K, but really dislike XP.
> >
> >That being said, I'm really liking FC3 and Debian.
>
> Okay, as a matter of curiosity, what is the functional difference
> between 2k & XP?

Got me. One of the first things I did to the two XP machines that are mine
is turn off all the goofy Fisher-Price UI stuff (it makes navigation by
keyboard more cumbersome), so it at least *looks* like W2K. You can turn
off the graphical login too, so it looks even more like W2K. (It doesn't
appear for me, so the issue hasn't arisen.)

> I have to admit that I've thought of bringing the butterfly back into my
> house for one machine, and I don't want to waste money on XP if 2k will be
> a better choice.

I'd say, don't waste your money unless/until you find that the software you
want requires XP.

VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
for you.  Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
head impaled upon a stick.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_