RE: [SLUG] New Windows Singularity

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 07:24:18 EST

>>what is the functional difference between 2k & XP?

Win 2K is NT 5.0
Win XP is NT 5.1

The .1 is a whole lot of added on junk, in my opinion. Case in point: I
plug my Camera into a W2K machine and nothing happens. I pull up Explorer
and move the files. In XP, it starts up a wizard and asks what I want to
do. I have to close it before I can continue. This occurs because XP has a
small applet loaded that watches for these things, to "help" me. I don't
need the help, it gets in the way, steals memory and CPU cycles. Same type
of thing happens with I put a CD in the drive. Drives me crazy.

W2K seems faster/snappier, more stable (likely due to less code). It runs
everything I've loaded and has been rock solid. I might get a crash once a
year (if that). XP is annoying, offers me nothing of value, and seems
slower. In other words, I believe MS took a good product and overloaded it
with accessories to "dumb it down" for people who don't know how to use
computers. If they want to offer a special version for them - fine. Sadly,
they are leaving guys like us behind. This is what led me to Linux.

Linux has brought a lot of the fun back to computing for me. I still depend
on W2K for my workhorse apps (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, AutoCAD,
SolidWorks, and Visual Studio). But I've started down the Linux path and am
developing Apache/MySQL/PHP apps that will run on any OS, any browser. I
may switch to Java, Python, or Ruby. Its nice to have options, and its
wonderful to be able to try this stuff for free. We now use a Linux Server
at work, with Linux and Windows clients. It has been rock solid - yes, a
tad bit better than my Windows servers, once I got my hardware selection
right.

Ken Elliott