Re: [SLUG] linux / windows

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 07:48:36 EST

On 11/15/05, Joe Brandt <vzd1s11k@verizon.net> wrote:

> For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
> I am sure there is a story of everything going smooth for every horror
> story out there. I am a boat builder for a living, computer nut for a
> hobby. There is a guy at work that I went to clean up his computer from
> spyware and viruses almost every month. I put him off until Brighthouse
> cut off his e-mail because he was a spambot. I wiped his drive and put
> Ubuntu on his machine, spent about 2 hours getting him set up and
> comfortable with Ubuntu. That was almost 8 months ago, I was back once
> because he deleted some settings (a quick fix). He is tickled pink with
> Ubuntu.
>
> I guess it all boils down to individual hardware (my laptop is a
> nightmare but my server and desktop is a no-brainer)
>
> my $.02
>
> Joe Brandt
> 100% Microsoft free and loving it.
>
> This sounds like the story of my parents and younger sibling, verbatim.
After the third or fourth time wiping viruses and spyware from their
computer, I put them all on ubuntu. They can manage upgrades without
touching apt-get and installing software even bypasses the synaptic
interface. Needless to say, they're thrilled. Occasionally I take a hand in
setting up non-free software for them. Or in the case of Beagle, getting
things set up properly. (They all love Beagle, by the way)

I had to add ram in order for fast-user switching to work without bogging
down the machine, but even more esoteric hardware seems to work.