Re: [SLUG] automated sequential boot of multiple machines

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 17:03:13 EST

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Mike Branda wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I figure I'll put this out there. I'm starting to think of a way that I
> can bring machines up here in sequence when the power is out for more
> than the designated run time of the backups. Obviously some machines
> have services that need to be up before others. I've just been reduced
> back to a one man operation and if things go amuck I'd like to be able
> to run a script from a remote machine. I was starting to think of
> something that uses wake on lan or something combined with a check on
> that service before the next machine was given a "ring" to start up.
> Anybody do this in Linux yet?? Is there a project out there or a piece
> of hardware that does such a thing?? Anybody ever monkey with wake on
> lan??

That seems to be basically what initscripts-6.95-1 does on my machine:

[root@pc root]# rpm -qf /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
chkconfig-1.3.6-3
initscripts-6.95-1
[root@pc root]# ls /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
K05saslauthd S12syslog S28autofs S75monitor-cid S90xfs
K20nfs S13portmap S35sigmonster S80sendmail S91smb
K34dhcrelay S15festival S45junkbuster S85gpm S95atd
K35winbind S17keytable S55sshd S85thttpd S95innd
K50snmpd S20random S56rawdevices S86thttpdmonitor S99local
K50snmptrapd S25logmonitor S56xinetd S90crond
S10network S25netfs S65dhcpd S90vmware

S* files get run with the "start" argument (they're all links) with the
"start" argument upon entering a runlevel, K* files get run with the "stop"
argument on leaving same. /etc/rc.d/rcN.d corresponds to runlevel N.
Runlevels are defined in /etc/inittab . Links are maintained by the
"chkconfig" program, based on info in the header. Before I found it, I
thought *I* had to do it manually, which would have been a nightmare.
E.g., at the top of S12syslog:

#!/bin/bash
#
# syslog Starts syslogd/klogd.
#
#
# chkconfig: 2345 12 88
# messages to various system log files. It is a good idea to always \
# run syslog.
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: $syslog
### END INIT INFO

                  "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
          "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
          them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking