[SLUG] automated sequential boot of multiple machines

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 16:32:51 EST

Hey all,

I figure I'll put this out there. I'm starting to think of a way that I
can bring machines up here in sequence when the power is out for more
than the designated run time of the backups. Obviously some machines
have services that need to be up before others. I've just been reduced
back to a one man operation and if things go amuck I'd like to be able
to run a script from a remote machine. I was starting to think of
something that uses wake on lan or something combined with a check on
that service before the next machine was given a "ring" to start up.
Anybody do this in Linux yet?? Is there a project out there or a piece
of hardware that does such a thing?? Anybody ever monkey with wake on
lan??

Thanks!!

Mike Branda