Re: [SLUG] automated sequential boot of multiple machines

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 17:44:22 EST

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 04:32:51PM -0500, Mike Branda wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I figure I'll put this out there. I'm starting to think of a way that I
> can bring machines up here in sequence when the power is out for more
> than the designated run time of the backups. Obviously some machines
> have services that need to be up before others. I've just been reduced
> back to a one man operation and if things go amuck I'd like to be able
> to run a script from a remote machine. I was starting to think of
> something that uses wake on lan or something combined with a check on
> that service before the next machine was given a "ring" to start up.
> Anybody do this in Linux yet?? Is there a project out there or a piece
> of hardware that does such a thing?? Anybody ever monkey with wake on
> lan??

Don't know anything about wake-on-lan, but what if you determined all
the "dependent" services on the various machines, and then wrotea script
to restart them all? That is, all the machines come back up when the
power returns, but obviously some machines go wonky because they can't
start things up properly without other machines being fully up yet. So
you have a script on the dependent machines that restarts the dependent
services, which hopefully will run properly, now that the main machines
are up. Might require some sort of "cookie" to be dropped by dependent
machines when all is not well. Then the restart script would check for
the cookie and sleep a variable amount of time if it was found, and
attempt to restart the services.

Paul