Re: [SLUG] Sony Part III

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 16:10:37 EST

> Please speak only for yourself. I'm not going to be involved in a
> business where I have to perform illegal activities just to survive,
> as you seem to be claiming is the case with Sony.

Levi,

You obviously are missing my point, so please allow me a little leeway to
elaborate.
I am not condoning Sony's actions (putting out CD's with XCP-enabled
software). That was shifty & underhanded, and could be argued as illegal
cyber "B&E". Also, they may have violated the GPL. They should be taken to
task and if found guilty of criminal acts then they should be held
accountable.

What I am supporting is their right to protect their property. I don't
condone illegal activities to further ANY objective, but I think that their
objective is just. As for your comment regarding Sony's "tenuous rights to
somebody else's product", if the artist wishes to have their music
distributed by Sony, and they sign a contract that gives Sony the rights to
their music, who's fault is that? Either negotiate a better contract, or
find someone else to distribute your music (or do it yourself). The fact is,
they go with Sony because Sony is huge and they can get a lot of exposure
(let me translate: $$$$$$$$). The artists are out to make a little coin,
too. Don't be so naive as to think they do not know what's going on.

My point is this: there is a problem with pirating music. Sony wants to stop
this illegal behavior. I agree with their *reasoning* behind wanting to stop
it. A *solution* needs to be found. One that allows Sony the rights to their
property (without violating any laws) and that does not infringe upon any
rights of the law abiding citizens of the world.