Re: [SLUG] Sony Part III

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 14:49:26 EST

> Call me old fashioned, call me a relic, call me what you will.
> But whatever happened to playing a *music* cd on a CD PLAYER, and leaving
> the computer to running what it was made to run?

One of the things a cdrom drive is made to do is play music cds.
Therefore, a computer with a cdrom drive is made to play music.

> You can blame Sony-BMG for
> surreptitiously sliding this one under the radar and also for allowing bad
> code to be distributed on one of their products, but you cannot blame them
> for the underlying reasoning behind it.

Sure I can. Roblimo's not allowed to break into your house and
install security cameras to make sure you're not using his latest book
as toilet paper (not that anyone would do that, just illustrating a
point;); neither is Sony allowed to break into your computer to
attempt to enforce its delusions of intellectual property.

> They are distributing a product
> (music) that has become a goldmine for other people to make money off of.
> This is all because of the technology that is available to the home user. I
> am not advocating reducing the progress of technology, but Sony-BMG is
> attempting (and I stress, ATTEMPTING) to control the profits from THEIR
> product, and IMO they have the right to do that. For example, if you wrote
> a national bestseller and made a truckload of cash, you would do everything
> in your power to stop others from going to the local Kinko's and copying
> YOUR work to sell it for their profit. I know it is a simplistic
> comparison, but you get the gist.

They do NOT have the right to break the law to attempt to enforce
their tenuous rights to somebody else's product.

> It can be assumed (with a fairly high degree of confidence) that if one is
> going to rip/copy a *music* cd to a computer, the intention is to (most
> likely) reproduce it in some way, shape or form. The majority of us will
> use this reproduction for our own personal use, but it is the shady minority
> whose sole intention is to make money off of these reproductions that are
> causing this course of action on the part of Sony-BMG and others.

99% of the people I know rip music to their hard drives so they don't
have to switch CDs all the time. I suppose your advice is to spend
hundreds of dollars on a Sony 500-disc jukebox instead...

> I know this will most likely cause a firestorm of controversy, and is
> slightly OT (however, actions by the media bigs and the technology sector
> include DRM, which *is* technical), but regardless of they way anyone feels
> about it on a moral/political level, copyright infringement is ILLEGAL in
> this country. If you don't like the law, write your congressman, not a blog
> where you rant and rave about the social and economic injustices thrust upon
> you by the "bourgeois elite". You cannot blame companies for trying to
> protect their assets, only the methods by which they go about it.

Breaking and entering, as well as the computer equivalent, are also
ILLEGAL. Two wrongs do not make a right. Sony just gets away with it
for the same reason that Microsoft does - the almighty $.

> If anyone of us were in the same position, I hardly think that we would act
> any differently.

Please speak only for yourself. I'm not going to be involved in a
business where I have to perform illegal activities just to survive,
as you seem to be claiming is the case with Sony.

--
Debianista!