Re: [SLUG] More Emulation/Virtual Processing

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 22:52:11 EST

It all depends on what you are looking to emulate on the ppc platform

OSX/other nix based OSes then you cant beat PearPC which does run faster
than my 400mhz G3 B/W system which runs OSX 10.4 just fine. There have been
improvements too it and my copy of pear pc with all the tweaks and such
boots with in 2-3 minutes a little slower than my 400mhz the biggest problem
is video draw rates. There is a on going discussion in how you could treat
the OSX desktop as a 3d enviroment and pass opengl calls to the host system
for faster preformance.

If your just looking to run Mac OS classic Like OS 8.5 8.6 9.x then you
would want to try the Sheepshaver project that runs MacOS 8.x-9.x PPC builds
and is very fast emulator and does it job quite well.

PPC development enviroment well the best solution there would be a
commerical project from Virtuatec called Simics There cpu core runs at near
native speeds it does not have what I would call video support this is
strictly for running CLI nix OSes so you can compile and test development of
ppc nix applications or to be used as part of a compile farm.