[SLUG] / /etc and /var owned by hplip

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 02:47:45 EST

I just noticed some ownership weirdness while I was tinkering:

jconte@naja:~$ ls -ld /etc /var /
drwxr-xr-x 22 hplip lp 696 2005-11-23 21:18 /
drwxr-xr-x 112 hplip lp 6176 2005-12-07 01:01 /etc
drwxr-xr-x 14 hplip lp 336 2005-03-04 16:39 /var

These are the only directories that appear to be affected. I think hplip is
a program related to the HP printer driver but it worries me to see such
important directories owned by what I assume is a trivial program. However,
I don't want to mess up the printer configuration in case write access is
needed for /etc or /var for some reason. ( Write access to root still seems
bizarre though.)

Should I chown root.root these directories or let them be? Could this be the
sign of a bug with the package manager or a crack attempt?

-Jonathon