RE: [SLUG] Konsole stuff

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 03:04:19 EST

>From: Bob Stia <rnr@sanctum.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] Konsole stuff
>Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 01:12:09 -0500
>
>Hello Sluggers,
>
>Just getting really old and feeble minded. Need you to refresh me.
>
>How, after, I do a "man" and the screen is filled with that info, do I
>return to my terminal window? I always end up starting a new session.
>
>Also, when I run a command that prints many screens of info you cannot
>get back to the early info and/or input command. Yes, you can scroll
>back but it only goes so far, leaving the earlier info hidden.
>
>Thanks guys,
>
>Bob S.

Bob,

When you have finished viewing a man page, press "q" (without quotes) to
quit.

If a command creates several screens of output, you can pipe the output to
less by appending "| less" to the end of the command. Here are two examples:

lspci -v | less
ls -ld ~/* | less

When viewing the output with less, use the up/down arrows to move a line at
a time or page up/down to move a screen at a time. Just like man, press "q"
to quit. There is more information about pipes here:

http://www.linuxcommand.org/lts0060.php

-Jonathon