Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Recovery Software

From: Keith Lelacheur (themercuryman@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 22:28:08 EST

On 12/6/05, Eric A. Hicks <lugmail@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Keith Lelacheur wrote:
>

> > Anyone have any good opensource (Free) software to do data recovery on
> > a Win2K hard drive that lost it's boot sector and index. I have tried
> > to mount the drive in windows xp, Knoppix and ubuntu and it is not a
> > recognized ntfs partition. I can search the drive using some of the
> > commercial demos of windows based data recovery software and see the
> > files, but none of the demos will allow me to recover the data. I
> > checked out sourceforge for data recovery software, but I couldn't
> > find anything that matched my search criteria. Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated.
> >
> BartPE has worked almost every time for me... even some of the worst
> hard drive crashes are easily recovered. Let me know if you need a copy,
> maybe I can make an .iso file for you. I have a disc made up with many
> of the add-ons built in.
>
> Other than Bart's, I've used Helix and Penguin Sleuth. However, these
> are hardcore forensics stuff... difficult to use. I'd stick with BartPE.

Thanks for the info. I started to play with BartPE, but realized it wasn't
really the tool I needed for this application. I think that it will be
useful in the future. I was able to resolve my issue using a freware too
called TestDisk at
(http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html)

Somehow, I had lost the partition definition on the drive and testdisk
allowed me to recreate it without overwriting the data on the drive. Thanks
again for the help and input.

Merc