Re: [SLUG] Hard Drive Recovery Software

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 21:57:37 EST

Keith Lelacheur wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I started to play with BartPE, but realized it
> wasn't really the tool I needed for this application. I think that it
> will be useful in the future. I was able to resolve my issue using a
> freware too called TestDisk at
> (http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html)
>
> Somehow, I had lost the partition definition on the drive and testdisk
> allowed me to recreate it without overwriting the data on the drive.
> Thanks again for the help and input.
>
> Merc

I'm glad you figured it out. I should have gone into a little more
detail on BartPE. You can add modules into it. One (I think it's ERD
Commander, or something like that) rebuilds the MBR of messed up hard
drives. There are lots of other great tools that can be added to
BartPE. It's a great tool for all techs.

Thanks for finding TestDisk. I'm going to look into that myself.