Re: [SLUG] tape drive back-ups

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 22:36:19 EST

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 20:25, Eben King wrote:
> > Couldn't you simply FTP it to an off-site server? I would be interested
> > to know why that wouldn't work.

I used ssh for that quite well. Fully automated. As far as free space that's
also easily checked if you're in a Unix. I wrote a shell script that brought
together backups from several servers to a backup server and then onto tape.

Usually I start with RAID, plus each server has a spare disk for local backup.
Next it's brought to a backup server (with scp) that has a copy from each
server and then from that onto tape and offsite. That's four level deep plus
one tape for each day. Restores can usually be made directly off a disk, and
should all go in a blaze there still are the tapes.

Each server had a growth plan and storage to match. Then a script that
monitored data growth/space left on each server, with daily reports to backup
server. Backup server (script) looked for too big of a daily change in file
sizes and notified admin when needed.

With disk to disk transfers you it's done very fast, and you can have the
"slow" backups to tape from an offline disk, take as much time as it needs.

An off site developer could send an email with key words in it and the system
would pass a message that would reach the backup server and then scp certain
files to him. It's a lot of fun to see how much you can accomplish with bash.

If it's not clear yet, I love automating tasks. : )

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.