Re: [SLUG] Need New Commercial ISP for Clearwater

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 01:50:34 EST

It sounds like you're asking for something other than
consumer level access. There are several questions
that go into this:

Is an occasional downtime a problem (ie system
updates,someone cuts a cable)

Do you need a static IP

Do you run your own servers

I've always found that the price is always best with
the company that owns the lines. Anything going over
copper (T1, T3, ISDN, DSL etc. ), you should check out
Verizon first. Bottom level with Static IP (DSL) runs
around $80 a month. Brighthouse with static IP runs
around $70 I'm not real sure about the exact prices,
but I'm sure it's with $10 of being accurate. Knology
I didn't even look at.. they are new and they don't
even put the prices on the web site. If you want to
be able to have a failover backup you will really need
to plan the services carefully. You dont' want your
backup copper or fiber running in the same tunnel as
you main lines. For example if some contruction
company cuts the main line then at least the backup
will work unless it's was lying beside the mainline in
the tunnel. There is also wireless point to point
connections. Pinellas county school seems to think
they were stable enough to connect all their schools
with it, but I've heard some real horror stories about
the reality of that. They used to run Cable with an
ISDN backup. Any way you look at it, don't expect too
much from the Helpdesk of an company these days. It's
kinda like asking the receptionist at Trump Towers to
be your Stock Broker. The talent just isn't there.

Good Luck
Rob