Re: [SLUG] uptime

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 22:43:22 EST

> My confuser crashes several times a day, always has, most any
> image viewer will do in within 2 or 3 minutes. (it's because I am
> running dozens of applications, one app. sitting there running doesn't
> do it, still a lot better than windows) (100% Slackware LINUX from July 1998)

Sounds like you have hardware problems. In years of using Linux, I've probably had
only a dozen or so crashes that were not related to hardware. In every case, a crash
was caused either by failing hardware or a bad driver for some hardware. If you're
getting video related errors, try running x11perf. If it crashes, try editing your
x11 conf file and disable all accelerations. Try x11perf again. If it doesn't crash,
start enabling accelerations one by one until x11perf fails. I've had to do this a
few times when using S3 cards.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com