Re: [SLUG] uptime

From: Bob Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 22:47:28 EST

> I agree; it sounds as if some of your hardware is failing. If not the
RAM,
> it could be the power supply unit. Whenever you put a heavy load on
the
> system (running several applications) there is more strain on the
power
> supply and lack of power could cause the reboot. Could also be
something
> damaged on the motherboard (like leaking capacitors) or some other
issue.

> Consider taking it somewhere to have it checked out.
>
> -Jonathon

Coincidentally there is a thread running on LeapList
about bad electrolytics. Apparently some major
board and system mfgrs all got some bad 'lytics
which are failing after several years of running time,
and which are integral parts of the mobo's etc..

Part of this involves industrial spying and theft of a
bad formula which was used in the mfg process
by competitors who did want to pay a licensing fee..

I myself just tried to bring up a P-III 733 MHz system
which worked fine for the year-and-a-half I
have had it (I bought it as used) and all of a
sudden it won't even POST. BIOS date is 1999.
I am quite sure this is a similar type failure.
The initial BIOS screen appears then it freezes.
This system had not been powered on for a year.

Decided to remove all the parts and scrap the
mobo. (Toyo) I did not like the BIOS anyway
so this was an easy decision.

- Bob