[SLUG] My P3

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 00:41:57 EST

Hello, all.

    I have a 933MH P3 w/512MB that I have been running as my second
desktop machine. I rescued this puppy from a corporate dumpster and
brought it home. When I first started playing with it, it didn't want
to boot up. After multiple attempts, I finally got it to boot on
Knoppix. Then, I installed a HD and ran Debian on it for long enough to
decide that it would be a compotent second machine. Then, I tried out
Suse 10.0 on it, and finally installed XP on it so I could use the
factory drivers for my Epson r200 printer (I didn't like the Gutenprint
interface for cd design.)
    recently, I pulled the ram so I could play with it in a different
machine, and when I reinstalled it, it would not boot up. It will come
up to the initial screen that says "Dell" and that's it. I tried
swapping to a stick of 256MB, and it did the same thing. I put the 512
back in and swapped the processor for a 500MH Celeron and it booted up
just fine. I slapped that 800MH Via C3 in there, and it did the same
"Dell" screen and just froze there. I'm at a complete loss here. If
the Via had worked, I would have shrugged it off as a fried CPU, or if
the ram had made a difference... ...you see where I'm going here.
Does any of you have any ideas on what might have gone wrong here?
Thanks in advance.

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
Are monestaries cold because of all the parishables?