Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 23:07:29 EST

SOTL wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I was playing with Debian for the first time in a long time this afternoon.
>
>First thing I noted was the the installation process is a lot smother.

Apparently, you didn't suffocate, so it wasn't terribly smother. ;-)

>Second thing I noted was that no matter what I did I had only command line
>installed NO GUI.
>
>With respect to GUI how does one install that with on line instalatin?
>
>SOTL

    I can handle this one. When you are doing the FTP install, there is
a point at which it gives you the options of desktop env, web server,
dns, yadda, yadda, yadda. If you select "desktop environment" along
with whatever groups of packages you want, it will install KDE and Gnome
and it gives you a nifty little startup screen where you can log into
either. If you are like me and you don't necessarily want to download a
blanket "desktop environment", you can pick "manual package selection."
If you do it that way, make sure to go into the heading under KDE or
Gnome, or whatever, and select packages there. Then, go down to "X
server" and make sure you have selected "xserver-xfree86" and the
dependant packages there. If all else fails, do a "startx" at the
command line. Sometimes, it doesn't necessarily start on it's own.

(See, guys? He can be taught!)

Debianista!

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
Are monestaries cold because of all the parishables?