Re: [SLUG] lost login after upgrade

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 22:25:06 EST

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 19:55 -0500, Dennis McDonald wrote:

--snip--

> [...]

--snip--

> Thanks
> I moved /dennis to _bak, then copied /Dennis to /dennis, then chown
> /dennis, and all is back to the way it was.
>
> Thanks again

No prob. The reason I usually do the _bak for the default newly created
homedir is that depending on how far of a jump you make between versions
of the distro and or apps sometimes this method doesn't work so well.
The new versions of the apps sometimes import the data and are o.k. and
some times they change prefs and things in the home dir and stuff acts
weird. Just for good measure I would hang on to the skeleton it created
for you for a bit. Just to make sure all the latest stuff is
cooperating with all your old files. If you just went from FC3 to FC4
you're probably O.K. I'm thinking that like a Redhat 8.0 to FC4 jump
would be more problematic as window managers and apps have changed a lot
between those two.

Mike