Re: [SLUG] lm_sensors; sensors -f; computer too hot?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 18:41:11 EST

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> >From the lm_sensors package, I got this from running:
> sensors -f

[data]

> ALARM??? My BIOS doesn't read voltages that high. Do you think I should
> take action? My computer has been hard-locking for quite some time. I
> tested the memory with memtest86 and with Microsoft's memory tester.
> Both showed good results. I wonder if it's a thermal thing, but these
> results don't match each other (BIOS vs. sensors program), so I can't
> determine which one is false.

The way it was explained to me was that the readings you get aren't that
important (in my case, the CPU temp was below the motherboard temp, which is
most likely bogus); what you're looking for is a *change*.
http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson/sensors/ might be useful, as might a
thread from a few weeks ago on comp.os.linux.hardware:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.hardware/browse_thread/thread/48ba090bd6f2eaef/3481a9ab7eb2be7a
=
http://wombatlink.com/?513x17lrpr

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Derived from Robert Heinlein