Re: [SLUG] playing dvd's

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 19:39:06 EST

On 1/19/06, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, after watching all of the back and forth I thought I would try the DVD
> thing, I have mplayer which so far has worked well with the video I get off
> of my kodak camera, but when I stick the DVD's in and try to run them I
> get a error message on most of them.
>
> The error that pops up is:
> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
>
> There are some that work just fine, but these do not, once of them has
> a set of short videos of trailers for other movies, those play just fine, but
> the main one (Independence day) does not.
>
> I got this mplayer from the Packman site, so figured it was not the
> crippled one.
>
> You know what really pisses me off? I payed good money for them,
> of course I can stick them in the DVD player on the TV but I also
> would like to watch them on the PC, it sure is frustrating when they
> do stuff like that.

Did my note get lost in the noise or just dis'd? I sure would like to be able
to play those DVD's on my linux machines, but so far following all of the
instructons as pointed out above have not allowed me to see much. just
a DVD of dubious content. All of the ones I WANT to see do not work.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;