RE: [SLUG] xorg woes

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 20:09:06 EST

>From: eben1@tampabay.rr.com
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] xorg woes
>Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:21:37 -0500
>
>So now xorg's acting up. Before I upgraded, I had three modes which I
>made by hand -- 1600x1200 (the panel's native resolution), 1200x900
>(native * 3/4), and 800x600 (native * 1/2). xorg claims
>
>(--) NV(0): Panel size is 1280 x 1024
>
>when that's bogus. What do I have to do to convince it otherwise?
>
>Also, 1200x900 wraps around horizontally, and the mouse pointer is
>several hundred pixels offset to the right from the active point.
>This is set up to use the "nv" driver, whereas before it used the
>"nvidia" driver. I guess that's a side effect of 900 not being
>divisible by 8.
>
>Yeah, I know FPs don't look very good at non-native resolutions,
>but I needed some, and until xorg started acting up, those looked
>pretty darn good.

If you want the proprietary nvidia driver, don't download it from nvidia's
website--it is already in the Ubuntu repository. You need to install
nvidia-glx or nvidia-glx-legacy (the latter is for some older nvidia cards
for which nvidia has dropped Linux support in their newest driver).

These commands will show you more information about each package:

apt-cache show nvidia-glx
apt-cache show nvidia-glx-legacy

Install the appropriate package for your card:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

-or-

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-legacy

Remember, whenever you want to install something, check the official
repositories first. Upgrades go much easier when apt is managing everything
that you have installed.

By the way, I checked the repositories for the programs for which you are
looking. Pine does not appear to be available. However, there is a fvwm
package.

jconte@kunto:~ $ apt-cache search ^fvwm
fvwm - F(?) Virtual Window Manager, version 2.5
fvwm-gnome - F(?) Virtual Window Manager, version 2.5
fvwm-icons - XPMs for fvwm
fvwm1 - Old version of the F(?) Virtual Window Manager
fvwm95 - Win95 lookalike Window Manager for X
fvwm95-icons - Win95ish icons for X
jconte@kunto:~ $

-Jonathon

PS. Here is my sources.list. I am running Ubuntu Breezy so this should work
for you:

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary Hedgehog_ - Alpha i386 Binary-1 (20050217)]/
unstable main restricted

# stable repositories
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted universe
multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted universe
multiverse

# updates
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted universe
multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
universe multiverse

# security updates
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
universe multiverse

# backports
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ breezy-extras main restricted
universe multiverse

# backports mirrors
# deb http://acm.cs.umn.edu/ubp/ hoary-backports main universe multiverse
restricted
# deb http://acm.cs.umn.edu/ubp/ hoary-extras main universe multiverse
restricted
# deb ftp://ftp2.caliu.info/backports/ breezy-extras main universe
multiverse restricted

# official wine repository
deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/
deb-src http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ source/