Re: [SLUG] Edit PDF files

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 20:15:51 EST

> Folks,
> Either it can not be done or no one is reading my text OR I am missing
> something.
>
> I have a PDF, I need to go into it and change some text,
> I do not want to export it to another format and change it and then export
> it back, I am not trying to generate a NEW document, the one I am looking
> at presently exist all done, I just need to go into the text body and change
> about 30 -40% of what is in there and then close it up and put it to use.
> Here is the pdf I need to change:
> http://www.xpondr.com/041202/flood_advisor.pdf

OK, with files created in Adobe Acrobat it can *sometimes* be done. There are a few
reasons why this is so:

1) Some PDFs are nothing more than bitmap images, some are bitmaps with text, some
are pure text. The type depends on how the document was created and with what tool.
In other words, the text you see in the document could have been encoded in multiple
ways.

a) If the document creator embedded the font then you can use Adobe Acrobat to edit
it, providing it's not protected. The resulting document will look fine.

b) If the document created embedded a subset of the fonts you can usually edit it,
but it will only look correct if you have the identical font. I.e., a subset of
fonts includes only those characters and sizes that are used in the document.

c) If the document was created with ps2pdf, then you can recover the text but can't
easily edit it. PS2TXT, IIRC, uses the font definitions in the file to determine
what characters are displayed. It's not plain text that's encoded.

d) If it's a bitmap without the text "hinting" then you can recover with ps2txt but
you'll lose formatting.

e) If it's a bitmap you'll need to use some sort of OCR program to recover the text
or graphically manipulate the document.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com