Re: [SLUG] xorg woes

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 22:18:21 EST

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Kwan Lowe wrote:

>> So now xorg's acting up. Before I upgraded, I had three modes which I
>> made by hand -- 1600x1200 (the panel's native resolution), 1200x900
>> (native * 3/4), and 800x600 (native * 1/2). xorg claims
>>
>> (--) NV(0): Panel size is 1280 x 1024
>>
>> when that's bogus. What do I have to do to convince it otherwise?
>>
>> Also, 1200x900 wraps around horizontally, and the mouse pointer is
>> several hundred pixels offset to the right from the active point.
>> This is set up to use the "nv" driver, whereas before it used the
>> "nvidia" driver. I guess that's a side effect of 900 not being
>> divisible by 8.
>
> The nv driver is the default xorg driver. It is open source, but not quite
> as fast as the nvidia driver from Nvidia.com. Have you tried the nvidia
> driver yet?

Tried to.

> Download it from Nvidia.com,

Got it, wasn't executable. Fixed that easily.

> drop in runlevel 3,

X didn't exit. It did in runlevel 1, but the installer complained then.
Go to runlevel 2, X runs. $%^&. /etc/rc3.d/gdm stop -- no more X.

> then run the installer.

"no kernel source". It was installed, but that puts a big tar.bz2 file out
there. Expand it. Whoops, I can't; permissions. See who owns /usr/src --
"root.src". Have root add eben to the "src" group. Log out, log in. Try
it again. Yay.

Run the installer, now it's looking for version.h which isn't there, maybe
the source is unconfigured? "make menuconfig", barfs for lack of ncurses.
Install ncurses. "Oh, BTW, you need the DEVELOPMENT packages." Install
those. "make menuconfig", change something, change it back, exit & save.
Run installer, no version.h.

Give up, download recent source from kernel.org. Unpack, yada yada. "make
menuconfig", sorry no gcc. WTF? Oh, the package I installed was only the
_framework_. Install gcc. Realize I'd have to go through the whole thing of
configuring a kernel lest I get a "source doesn't match running kernel"
error. By this time I've got a MTA and pine to work, so I fetch new
messages, and find the OTHER one saying "just get nvidia-glx".

So I install nvidia-glx, it says "to enable run sudo somecommand".
Okey-doke. I try that command, "bad password". Huh, maybe I fat-fingered
it. Carefully enter root's password, "bad password". Enter MY password,
"eben is not an authorized sudo user". $%^&, why did it SAY to type that
then?

visudo runs nano or some such, not vi as I would expect. I remember the
last time I edited this file I was almost lost, and the situation repeats
itself. sudoers(5) is not much help.

I grepped around in a list of module aliases I have, until I came up with
"alias char-major-195 NVdriver". Now, I bet Ubuntu has some script you're
supposed to run to collect entries from a bunch of files and put them in
/etc/modules.conf . Oh, /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc already exists,
huh?

gdm tries a few times, then dies with, among other things:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

So, in short, I could go back to "nv", but X sucks there. "nvidia" doesn't
work at all. For now, I guess I'll work in text mode until a solution
present itself.

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.