Re: [SLUG] xorg woes

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 19:21:42 EST

> So now xorg's acting up. Before I upgraded, I had three modes which I
> made by hand -- 1600x1200 (the panel's native resolution), 1200x900
> (native * 3/4), and 800x600 (native * 1/2). xorg claims
>
> (--) NV(0): Panel size is 1280 x 1024
>
> when that's bogus. What do I have to do to convince it otherwise?
>
> Also, 1200x900 wraps around horizontally, and the mouse pointer is
> several hundred pixels offset to the right from the active point.
> This is set up to use the "nv" driver, whereas before it used the
> "nvidia" driver. I guess that's a side effect of 900 not being
> divisible by 8.

The nv driver is the default xorg driver. It is open source, but not quite as fast
as the nvidia driver from Nvidia.com. Have you tried the nvidia driver yet?
Download it from Nvidia.com, drop in runlevel 3, then run the installer. Once
installed, there are a couple things to change in the xorg.conf file including
changing "nv" to "nvidia" and disabling some xorg extensions. All are in the README.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com