Re: [SLUG] kernel version?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 11:18:24 EST

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, steve szmidt wrote:

> On Monday 27 February 2006 00:31, Paul M Foster wrote:
>> I can't stress enough how simple this is. I've now done this about three
>> times on various boxes and various NVidia cards, and it went smoothly
>> every time. Bottom line: don't worry about your kernel and such. Just
>> build whatever you think you need for the kernel. And let NVidia worry
>> about the drivers afterward.
>
> I want ot chime in on what Paul said. Earlier on you had to get a new driver
> every time you updated the kernel. And if there were no driver done for that
> kernel version you had to wait. But then they unified their drivers and made
> them work with any new kernel release. All you have to do is rerun the self
> installing driver, which then relinks with the new kernel. Very smooth.

The ipw2100 driver isn't integrated into the kernel, and doesn't work across
kernel versions. But "make ; make install" is easier than
"./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run" and answering a bunch of yes/no
questions.

> In my eyes there really is nothing evil about not having the source code
> for a driver.

Well, it indicates that the manufacturer doesn't want anybody but them (and
maybe their "friends") writing a driver. Maybe there are bugs,
inefficiences or security holes in their code? Who knows?

> The fact is that Nvidia is doing a great job with their drivers. They are
> tightly developed to work with Linux. Much more so than ATI.

Agreed. It's nice to have drivers that work well.

> I must have done 10's of installs with it and I cannot complain at all. Sure
> it would be easier not having to compile. Sure it would be easier if Nvidia
> released the driver so it could be included in your distro. But they are
> concerned over ATI and don't want to give them the leg up.

Heck, I wish I didn't have to rerun the installer every time I left runlevel
5. It's probably something simple like "the driver's not loaded".

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.