Re: [SLUG] kernel version?

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 12:51:58 EST

On Monday 27 February 2006 11:18, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, steve szmidt wrote:

> The ipw2100 driver isn't integrated into the kernel, and doesn't work
> across kernel versions. But "make ; make install" is easier than
> "./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run" and answering a bunch of yes/no
> questions.

I'm sure you will not find very many novices agree with that. Plus doing an
rpm install brings it into being easily managed with al your other packages.

> > In my eyes there really is nothing evil about not having the source code
> > for a driver.
>
> Well, it indicates that the manufacturer doesn't want anybody but them (and
> maybe their "friends") writing a driver. Maybe there are bugs,
> inefficiences or security holes in their code? Who knows?

There could very well be all of them. Fortunately it's very easy to write a
driver under Linux unlike it's windows counterpart. Few drivers are without
bugs under windows.

It just as much an indication of nothing like it. The competition between ATI
and Nvidia is famous. Nvidia is enjoying a lot of advantage in OSS, which I'm
sure they want to defend as much as is possible.

I'd hate to have to run ms windows to run spanning windows. A binary driver is
not going to attract my complaints, on an otherwise happy setup.

> Heck, I wish I didn't have to rerun the installer every time I left
> runlevel 5. It's probably something simple like "the driver's not loaded".

Wow. Guess you did not contact Nvidia about it?

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.