Re: [SLUG] Contractual Education

From: nick velez (velez_nick@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 13:01:18 EST

Richard,
  Thanks for your feedback. My educational goal is to obtain a doctorate in Computer Science / Engineering since I enjoy software engineering. I am currently very early on in my education with only an associate degree in computer information systems and am looking to partner with an institution that will invest in my future.Thanks again for any input you can provide.
  -Nick

Richard Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:
  I was going to suggest the Armed Forces until you mentioned that you're
looking
for governmental organizations outside of the military. Don't overlook the
military, though, DARPA brought us the internet, after all. Defense projects
push a lot of R&D.

What is your educational goal? The Public Health Service has it's own medical
school, the DOE funds a lot of projects involving high performance computing
and physics research, the Army has a very good Medical Corps and researches
antidotes to chemical weapons. Lots of opportunity.

No matter who you go with, you will be required to either serve time with them
or you'll have to pay back the funds spent on your education.

Sincerely,
Richard Morgan
Heavy Systems Administrator
http://www.heavysystems.com
Powerful web hosting and server solutions for your business.
Heavy Systems is an Authorized AMD Solution Provider.

Quoting nick velez :

> Hello All,
> I recently read an article on contractual education. The article
> described organizations around the world that sponsor a student's
> full time education in return for a commitment to work a specified
> amount of time for that organization after graduation. In essence,
> students would basically get their degrees and be guaranteed a job
> upon graduation. These would primarily be doctors, scientists,
> engineers, and overall PhD's who would dedicate their work to the
> government. One particular institution is the Cuban government.
> Unfortunately, the article was rather short and did not highlight any
> US-based organizations.
>
> I myself am an engineering student, and am rather curious as to what
> the possibility would be of pursuing a PhD via a similar program
> (outside of joining the armed forces) . I've heard of large
> corporations like IBM, and Microsoft having offered contractual
> education, but have never seen anything in writing. Does anyone know
> of any organizations that offer contractual education? What would be
> the pro's and con's of undergoing such a program?

> Yahoo! Mail

Yahoo! Mail