Re: [SLUG] Contractual Education

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 09:38:46 EST

On 2/27/06, nick velez <velez_nick@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Richard,
> Thanks for your feedback. My educational goal is to obtain a doctorate in
> Computer Science / Engineering since I enjoy software engineering. I am
> currently very early on in my education with only an associate degree in
> computer information systems and am looking to partner with an institution
> that will invest in my future.Thanks again for any input you can provide.
> -Nick
>

> Richard Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:
> I was going to suggest the Armed Forces until you mentioned that you're
> looking
> for governmental organizations outside of the military. Don't overlook the
> military, though, DARPA brought us the internet, after all. Defense projects
> push a lot of R&D.
>
> What is your educational goal? The Public Health Service has it's! own
> medical
> school, the DOE funds a lot of projects involving high performance computing
> and physics research, the Army has a very good Medical Corps and researches
> antidotes to chemical weapons. Lots of opportunity.
>
> No matter who you go with, you will be required to either serve time with
> them
> or you'll have to pay back the funds spent on your education.
>
> Sincerely,
> Richard Morgan
> Heavy Systems Administrator
> http://www.heavysystems.com
> Powerful web hosting and server solutions for your business.
> Heavy Systems is an Authorized AMD Solution Provider.
>

> Quoting nick velez :
>
> > Hello All,
> > I recently read an article on contractual education. The article
> > described organizations around the world that sponsor a student's
> > full time education in return for a commitment to work a specified
> > amount of time for that organization after graduation. In essence,
> > studen! ts would basically get their degrees and be guaranteed a job
> > upon graduation. These would primarily be doctors, scientists,
> > engineers, and overall PhD's who would dedicate their work to the
> > government. One particular institution is the Cuban government.
> > Unfortunately, the article was rather short and did not highlight any
> > US-based organizations.
> >
> > I myself am an engineering student, and am rather curious as to what
> > the possibility would be of pursuing a PhD via a similar program
> > (outside of joining the armed forces) . I've heard of large
> > corporations like IBM, and Microsoft having offered contractual
> > education, but have never seen anything in writing. Does anyone know
> > of any organizations that offer contractual education? What would be
> > the pro's and con's of undergoing such a program?

This is military but might be of interest, there used to be some sort of
military gaming operation over in Orlando, not sure if they are still there,
a young fellow that I knew some years back went to work with them doing
war games stuff for the army. They continued to pay his education. That
has been about 5 years ago, not sure if they are still there, and do not know
who they were but I do know that the kid got paid by the Army and he had
to continue to work with them for some period after he finished his education,
he was very happy with his work though.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;