Re: [SLUG] Linus interview

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 10:47:36 EST

On Monday 13 March 2006 10:33, Levi Bard wrote:
> So, I went and read the gpl3 draft ( http://gplv3.fsf.org/draft ), and
> I think a lot of people are missing the point.
>
> > Dish Network I am sure is against GPL3 why because they use linux in
> > there products. Now the thing is that in there kernel they at times have
> > to poll inforomation from the firmware which is not open source as it
> > deals with security. Now the thing is if you look at dish linux code you
> > will see that it is very well commented out. So while ther is coded that
> > they given back that says hey we are pulling a hidden hardware key it
> > does not stop anyone else from creating there own firmware with ther own
> > key. The short and the simple of it is that GPL3 would be anti business.
> > Businesses at times need to protect key information from others. That
> > is how businesses stay alive by not showing al there cards.
>
> The draft states that "a code need not be included in cases where use
> of the work normally implies the user already has it." When you
> modify the source to your dish network box's code and install it on
> your dish network box, you still have the firm/hardware key as part of
> the box, so dish network is NOT required to divulge it as part of the
> source.

Yes, Linus was making that point too. Some people complained thinking you had
to. But as you see that's not the language at all.

It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.