[SLUG] megaraid driver disk to install CentOS4.3

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2006 - 11:16:33 EST

I'm trying to install CentOS 4.3 on my HP Netserver E800, which uses a NetRAID1M
SCSI RAID card. While booting from the install disk, it loads the megaraid_mbox
module, but this module does not support this card. (Support was dropped for the 2.6
kernel). I need to load the megaraid module from a floppy, I think. but I can't seem
to find the binary files anywhere.

I've found the source for the module at
http://www.hyper-linux.org/HP-HOWTO/mirror/Software/ami-mr114b.tar.gz

The readme has instructions, but I think they assume you have the kernel sources
installed, which I do not. Even if I did, the system I am running now only has a 2.4
kernel, and I think we need to run them against the 2.6 kernel to be of use with the
CentOS 4.3 install... Can I install the proper 2.6 kernel sources on my CentOS 3.6
box, (which is running a 2.4 kernel) and compile the megaraid module against these
sources?

Also, if I compile this module into the kernel, what would happen if I used yum or
up2date to update the kernel? I don't think the system would boot... Maybe I can
compile the kernel with the megaraid module as a loadable module? Not sure, any help
would be appreciated.

Doug