[SLUG] Re: slug] Godaddy.com switch to MS

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2006 - 11:14:12 EST

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Ken Elliott wrote:

>>> How did Linux fail?
>
> I believe it's quite clear that it didn't fail. In fact, I almost fell over
> laughing when I read the article.
>
> "Upon completion of the migration, Go DaddyR will have moved all its parked
> domains from Linux to the Windows platform."
>
> Notice they say PARKED domains. That would be domains without active web

What Ken does not say is that MicroSoft has steadily lost
webserver share in the monthly Netcraft surveys. If I worked
for the Microsoft server marketing department, I would _give_
away OS restricted to doing such 'placeholder' duty. Indeed,
as an earlier post suggested taht 'money' is a motivator,
MicroSoft may even be _paying_ in cash or in kind, for the
chance to boost their numbers.

One additional datapoint - I have had an idle webhost account
at GoDaddy for a while. (It was Linux based LAMP) -- This
last week, GoDaddy solicited me out of the blue to cancel out
of the contract, which has the effect of reducing their need
to keep the GoDaddy Linux based server up, but more
importantly helps skew the relative count up toward MS kit in
their space, perhaps as part of an incentive deal with MS.

- Russ Herrold