Re: NOW: Mail Blocking -- WAS: [SLUG] WiFI Ripoff

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 01:07:52 EST

Mike Branda wrote:

> Funny you guys should mention this....
>
> We're currently hosting (at the office) with Dreamhost out of Calif. and
> I am fighting with them on issues of AOL blocking our outbound e-mailsto
> their customers due to supposed high traffic. This started last week.
> Dreamhost says they have conferred with AOL and have fixed the blocking
> issue but e-mails still bounce with the same AOL error code. And of
> course the end user doesn't give a rip why it's happening. All they
> know is they can't complete daily tasks involving AOL recipients because
> of it and somehow I'm to blame. I'm all in favor of reducing spam but
> there has to be a less abrasive method and better resolutions than what
> is starting to take place at ISP's.

AOL's AOL. I don't know what their criteria are. I'm guessing they're
about as arrogant and capricious as Microsoft. Their attitude is
probably like, "If you're not on AOL, you don't deserve to be on the
internet, and we can block you for any reason."

I haven't checked spamcop's criteria, but it appears one only has to
complain. The last time this happened to us, I was told that some guy
had received an email from a list he'd forgotten he'd subscribed to, and
reported it to spamcop. Voila, a 24 hour block on our IP.

There used to be a guy who ran an RBL service, who did it all automated.
(Can't recall the name.) The tests would check for open relays, etc. No
judgement involved. But he ran afoul of some city government somewhere
who threatened to sue him, and shut his service down. Real shame.

This is why I'm putting my customers on their own IP, and our company
sites on a different IP. Most of them don't use our SMTP servers anyway
(they use their ISP's email instead).

--
Paul M. Foster