Re: Now RBL's. Was Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: Richard Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 19:47:45 EDT

Quoting Logan Tygart <thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us>:

> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 14:53 -0400, Richard Morgan wrote:
>> Quoting steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org>:
>>
>> > The outbound IP of the ISP's SMTP server is sometimes blacklisted ...
>>
>> Which I totally think is a lazy way of dealing with the problem, but I
>> digress...
>
> RBL's wouldn't exist if the sys admins of the blocked IP's were not
> lazy.

The sysadmin doesn't have to be lazy - they could be corrupt and/or
engaging in
the spamming themselves. They could also be duped by "legitimate" customers.

Blocking IP's doesn't solve the spam problem. It's a dumb, brute force
attempt
to keep spam out of your network which just causes the spammer to use another
IP. Would you block every IP on the internet if spam was coming from
it? Because I promise at one point, all ISP's and hosting companies get
some stupid
customers who do bad things with their account.

Would you keep going to a doctor if he just gave you some asprin for your
headache instead of removing the tumor that was causing the headache? Treat
the problem. The "blocking ip" stance is just an asprin.

-Rich