Re: Now RBL's. Was Re: [SLUG] Sites on IP

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 20:22:06 EDT

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 19:47, Richard Morgan wrote:
> Quoting Logan Tygart <thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us>:
> >>
> >> Which I totally think is a lazy way of dealing with the problem, but I
> >> digress...
> >
> > RBL's wouldn't exist if the sys admins of the blocked IP's were not
> > lazy.
>
> The sysadmin doesn't have to be lazy - they could be corrupt and/or
> engaging in the spamming themselves. They could also be duped by
> "legitimate" customers.

Yeah, I've run into spammer owned ISP's more than once.

> Blocking IP's doesn't solve the spam problem. It's a dumb, brute force
> attempt to keep spam out of your network which just causes the spammer to
> use another IP. Would you block every IP on the internet if spam was coming
> from it? Because I promise at one point, all ISP's and hosting companies
> get some stupid customers who do bad things with their account.

It is a brute force solution alright. But it's also easy to see why people do
it. I would love to educate people into not paying attention to that crap,
but it ain't going to happen.

It's hard to knock people trying their best to solve a problem not solved so
far. It's also too easy to get on these blacklists and not easy enough to get
off. Not easy to balance...

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.