Re: [SLUG] playing videos oddity

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 01:33:50 EDT

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 13:43, Levi Bard wrote:
> > > This doesn't happen to be an amd64 build of mplayer, does it?
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Uh Oh, Not going to tell me something bad, are you?
> >
> > Yes it is!
>
> In my experience, 64-bit mplayer will only play a limited subset of
> WMV files, even if you have all the codecs installed. I could be
> wrong, but I believe the ones it plays are those for which it has some
> native codec instead of using the proprietary DLLs. I keep a 32bit
> installation of mplayer in order to play media from those who don't
> know any better.

Hmmmmmm......Thanks for your observations. Here we go again. Not sure I want
to keep two versions of mplayer. They have to catch up on 64 bit, don't
they???? Wonder if I can submit a bug report to mplayer somehow? It's not
only this, it is Flash also in any of the 64 bit web-browsers. I keep a 32
bit version of Opera for that reason. You can install 32 bit versions of just
about anything, but then what is the point of having a 64 bit system? Very
frustrating.

Bob S.