Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 08:33:19 EDT

On 4/21/06, Ken Elliott <kelliott11@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> >> Please tell me one thing DRM is going to stop me from doing.
>
> ----
> Well, it can stop you from keeping rootkits out...
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.ht
> ml

Yeap iTunes is good that way might be DRM but no rootkits

And it stops you from letting a friend listen to your music...
> http://www.majordojo.com/technology/increasingly_di.php

Nope actually I got sharing to work. Itunes and ipsec vpn tunnels , iTunes
does not know the difference and just simply turning on share works.
(IPsec tunnels handled by PFsense router)

I believe we can all agree that it allows the copyright holder to place
> restrictions on the use of the material, beyond what the law allows us to
> do. And some of find that quite distasteful. I simply lost interest in
> buying new music, and judging from the drop in CD sales, I suspect others
> feel the same.

But it does not say that everyone has lost interest in it. The problem is
that everyone is used to everything being FREE and OPEN that now they are
thinking communistic thoughts like Richard Stallman and feels every
convieveable thing should be free and open.

I dont care to call DRM, DRM but under it orginal name Content Protection
Security. I say Content Proctection Security, and people dont seem to mind
as much as saying DRM as the open source community has simply turned DRM
into a dirty word.
Personally we all know the artist does not get the money, and the cd sales
etc goes in the pockets of the RIAA and the record label. But still stealing
is stealing does not matter if you steal from Bill Gates House or some hobo
on the street. One is not better than they other simply because one can
afford it. While I am not happy or saying DRM is wonderful DRM is great.
What I am saying DRM is a necessary evil.

It has caused me to look elsewhere, and I have found a wealth of music