Re: [SLUG] Novell's CTO Blog - new entry

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 11:19:00 EDT

On 4/25/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:

> On Monday 24 April 2006 21:03, michael hast wrote:
> > Although I disagree with the tone and delivery of this particular
> > post, I do agree with the underlying message.
>
> Yes, and I'm willing to apologize to those offended. In this case I could
> see
> that Robert for example might not be too keen on my delivery. Of which I
> never had the intention of being sweet, but certainly not cruel.

I have no problem with your delivery. Unlike most here who want to belive
that downloading music they do not own is not stealing, you have hit the
nail on the head that it should be considered an act of theft. Laws are
ment to be changed to usher in the changing times. Hence why the
consitution was writen the way it was. Anyway.

People always say that Linux is about CHOICE, the freedom of choosing from
some 20 different window managers word processing application etc. But
apparently CHOICE goes out the window if I want to choose to buy music
legally. So what everyone here is saying is this . I can have all these
CHOICES but it is blasphamy to choose to want a drm capable application on
linux. So is it really more like Linux is about the CHOICE but only if it
agreeable to the Linux Elitist. I never said I like drm. I dont believe
that it is the solution to the riaa problems. But I do take offense to this
thread bashing the idea of me having the choice to install an application
that uses drm to protect copyrighted material. I am not forcing my choice
on you or any one else on this list. But I do feel that there should be a
way to legally buy RIAA controlled drm crippled music legally on linux.
When itunes first came out the RIAA told Steve Jobs that why do it they are
all pirates they dont want to pay for music. He proved them wrong. While
there are still plenty of pirates out there who will illegally download
music that does not belong to them, there are people who are looking to find
a legal source of music online with linux. Right now linux is comprised of
mostly geeky people but that is changing every day. I am not predicting the
fall of Microsoft, but more and more people are continually hearing the word
linux and they are going to try it out on there desktops through
distrobutions like Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora, Mandrake aka Mandriva,
Knoppix. They will want to buy musiconline with linux as they can do it on
the mac and on there windows pc. All I am asking of this list is the
following:
1. You dont have to like drm and it may not be the solution for the record
labels but stick to the fact the only way to buy music from the big record
labels in the US is through some time of DRM. What illegal activities you
like to do please keep to you self. This is not about drm but about choice.
2. This is not about the choice of having drm in yoru music or not. This is
about have the choice to have an application that can buy and play drm based
music. This is not about having some killer application that deletes your
mp3 files because it does not have drm.
3. This is also not a arguement over the fine ethical and legal line of
stealing vs copy right infringement.
4. What this orginal idea was about and still is about Giving the people the
choice to choose to have a legit Online music service that supported linux.
* Unfortnatley there is no legal way of avoiding drm with online services
that sell RIAA record label music.