Re: [SLUG] [PIG] First post

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 15:21:53 EDT

On 5/1/06, petetheisen <petetheisen@verizon.net> wrote:
> Dylan William Hardison wrote:

> >>What language is that? Ha! The non-programmer speaks.
> >
> > it is C.
>
> Hi Dylan, Everybody!
>
> What is your recommendation for a basic tutorial in C or "pig"
> programming (i.e: whatever we will be using on pig), for that matter. I
> need to start somewhere. Are these free ones any good?

I'd not recommend anyone learn C or C++ as a first language.
I'd recommend either perl, python, or ruby. :)

as for PIG-languages, any language that has an open source
implementation that runs on a POSIX system is fair game.
I personally dislike Java (due to its lack of lambdas, weak typing,
and lack of type inferrence), but even it is fair game there are open
source compilers. :)