Re: [SLUG] LAN config

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 22:06:42 EDT

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Russell Hires wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 14:21 -0400, Eben King wrote:
>> OK, all you networking gurus, try this.
>>
>> I've got this setup (irrelevant machines not shown):
>>
>> ( internet ) verizon.net, PPTP, DHCP, dynamic address
>> |
>> D-Link router 802.11g, came with FiOS service, "Soulianis" SSID
>> | : |
>> | : "pc" Linux, Samba, thttpd, sshd-server
>> | :
>> | "vcr" XP, 802.11g card. Can access services on "pc".
>> |
>> Netgear router 802.11b, "Magrathea" SSID
>> :
>> "thinkpad-w" XP/Linux, 802.11b card, can't access services on "pc"
>>
>> So, what I would like is for "thinkpad-w" to access services on "pc" (ssh is
>> most important, as it can do file transfer). I'd most likely have to do
>> something to the Netgear router.
>
> Why have two routers?

I already had one (Netgear). Then the second (D-Link) came "free" with
FiOS. Besides, I have a mix of 802.11b and g devices. It is my
understanding that yes, they can share the channel, but if they do so, all
traffic on it slows down to b speeds (and stays slow for some time after the
b device stops talking). With them on two separate routers, they can each
run at their full speed. Also, if I were ever to copy between them, it
would go twice as fast this way (radio is half-duplex).

> You only need one for this set up, right?

It's possible, but not optimal.

> You have to tell your D-Link router that you don't want everything going
> out to the internet any more.

Um, why? What about the stuff that _should_ go out?

> You want some stuff to stay within your network. Having the two routers, I
> believe you now have two networks...

I think so too. They're on separate /24s, 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x.

> so you need to be able to have your two networks talk to each other...

Yeah, I guess I need to tell it not to encapsulate the announce packets.
Now if I could only figure out how to do that...

> really I'd detach the netgear router all together, and connect the
> thinkpad-w to the D-Link router, and everyone should be happy again...

Except the 802.11g devices.