Re: [SLUG] SLE 10 is now shipping.

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 16:15:35 EDT

>>> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 1:06 PM, in message
<52068.216.134.200.78.1153155968.squirrel@nebula.internal.foo>, "Jason
Boxman"
<jasonb@edseek.com> wrote:
> Levi Bard wrote:
>>> Dropping KDE is disappointing; thanks anyway.
>>
>> Disappointing, perhaps, but not surprising since Novell bought
Ximian
>> and continues to employ a number of GNOME developers.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I can't imagine longtime European users of SuSE are especially
pleased.

> Standardizing on a distribution controlled by a commercial entity is
a game
> of Russian roulette.

Interesting comment. Standardizing on a distribution that is managed by
a commercial entity is highly desired by most reputable corporations for
many reasons, especially in this litigious society and especially when
that commercial entity has 20 years experience in managing operating
systems. Companies such as Novell, IBM, HP, Dell, Intel, AMD, and Oracle
employ a HUGE percentage of the active contributors to the Free Software
movement and are highly motivated to ensure that they continue working
on these types of projects.

Where ever you are acquiring your KDE fud from is disappointing and
borders on sounding like a Microsoft proponent when it comes to
generating FUD. Fact of the matter is that Novell employs a large number
of KDE contributors and supports KDE quite well. Case in point is the
fact that Novell and Trolltech hosted the recent KDE 4 core meeting (
http://dot.kde.org/1151271635/ ) and Novell has 3 of the seven
elected members of the Technical Working Group (
http://dot.kde.org/1139614608/ ). Where is Debian, Ubuntu or other
"non-commercially managed" distributors?

For a company that is abandoning KDE, Novell sure does invest a lot of
resources in it.

One last comment that I have to make in this thread. There continues to
be political battles around Qt and it's QPL licensing scheme. GNOME is
not in those battles since everything about GNOME is GPL. Novell is a
very conservative company. These political battles posed a big problem
for Red Hat early on (and currently too in other areas) and any large,
publicly owned entity will try to distance itself from anything that is
remotely Enron-esque.

Sorry for bringing politics into it. The facts are out.

JP