Re: [SLUG] SLE 10 is now shipping.

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 17:25:27 EDT

On Wednesday 02 August 2006 13:43, steve szmidt wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 14:00, Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> > > At this point I'm running SLED 10.1 on one of my computers until I find
> > > it not worth while. (And I'm putting SuSE 10?) on another to compare
> > > the two.
> >
> > That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing.
> >
> > Don
>
> Any feedback yet?
>
> I'm getting annoyed over what seems like muddled yum support.

No, not much I can say. I've got Suse 9.3, the current bread-and-butter
installation, switched over to a RAID-1 (that went rather smoothly), SLED
10.1 on a partition on one drive, and on another machine the open source
10.1. As yet, I haven't done much running of the SLED 10.1 installation.

One of the things that gave me fits in setting all of this up was getting grub
setup. I suspect that there are some things going behind-the-scenes that are
either not covered in the grub documentation, or if it is, it is pretty
obscure. I could get any of the installations started by typing the stuff
into a grub command line, but all the installation procedures seemed to do
nothing, as if there was some hidden, magic file being used. In desperation
I switched to LILO (which also didn't work) and switched back and suddenly
the genie that was performing perverse magic was back in the bottle and
everything worked logically.

Actually those problems came before the Suse 10 installations. With the
Suse10 installations the boot got magnificently screwed up again. However,
by using YAST with Suse 10, it was straightforward, fixable without hours and
hours of cursing, reading docs, and questioning one's sanity.

Part of the grub problem most likely has to do with all the installations it
was finding. On the machine that has the open source Suse 10.1 there is a
drive with WN98SE so it is the usual Windows/Linux type of setup. The Suse
install went perfectly including the grub setup.

Don