Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu/kubuntu

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 21:44:57 EDT

> So in the end it sounds like you either configure sudo as needed or add a
> root
> account?

The root account is always there; nothing to add. There's no reason you
can't use whatever mechanism you are accustomed to to become root... setting
a root password for example. So you can su - (root password) instead of
sudo -s -H (your password) and be happy.

I never warmed up to using sudo. But I did run ubuntu when it came out and
> was
> annoyed by someones idea of keeping the user out of trouble kind of
> limitations. Ubuntu probably did not survive 24 hours with me.

Then it sounds like the distro is not for you.

> However I got a machine which is mainly for multimedia type of stuff so I
> don't need all the dev tools, servers and so on. But if I can have
> something
> which is flawless (or close to) with ogg, mp3, dvd's etc I'm willing to
> try
> it again. Ubuntu has been gathering steam since the beginning so there is
> no
> doubt lots of improvements.

good luck