Re: [SLUG] growisofs limitation??

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 13:42:09 EDT

Eben King wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Bob Stia wrote:
>
>> Hello Sluggers
>>
>> I have a file "mymovie.vob" that is 4.2 GB in size. K3b won't burn
>> it, saying it has a 4GB limitation. So, I try the CLI with this
>> command: "growisofs -Z /dev/dvdrecorder -dvd-video mymovie.vob"
>>
>> growisofs also complains that the file is too large. ????? What is
>> this??? A writeable dvd will hold 4.377 GB. Why won't growisofs burn
>> this file?
>

> growisofs may be a front-end for {dv,c}drecord. Try "-ignsize".

Growisofs will pass through arguments to mkisofs, but isn't really
related to {dv,c}drecord. I've been unable to burn CDs or DVDs with
{dv,c}drecord on my laptop, but growisofs works just fine. In fact, it's
the _only_ thing I've managed to get working with my DVD burner under Linux.

You can specify an "-overburn" option to growisofs. I just found that in
the man pages ("man growisofs").

Also, I hope your file is misnamed.

A .vob file is usually the encapsulated menu or mpeg2 video on a UDF
filesystem.
If you have a 4.2G image, I'll wager it is either a 4.2G mpeg2 file or a
4.2G UDF filesystem.

If you have a 4.2G mpeg2 video file, you need to greate a UDF filesystem
(with mkisofs or growisofs) that contains the .vob/.ifo files in a
VIDEO_TS directory.
To do that, you'll want to use something like dvdauthor.

    $ mv mymovie.vob mydvd.mpg
    $ mkdir DVD
    $ cat <<EOF > mydvd.xml
    <dvdauthor dest="DVD">
      <vmgm />
       <titleset>
         <titles>
           <video widescreen="nopanscan" />
           <pgc>
             <vob file="mydvd.mpg"
chapters="0,0:30,1:00,1:30,2:30,3:00,3:30,4:00"/>
           </pgc>
         </titles>
       </titleset>
     </dvdauthor>
    EOF
    $ dvdauthor -x mydvd.xml
    $ growisofs -dvd-compat -overburn -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video DVD/

Then you should have an "overburned" DVD, assuming it fit.

Remember to remove that DVD/ directory when you're done.

 - Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/