Re: [SLUG] boot problem

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 17:43:24 EDT

> As far as I can tell this means that the kernel is not loading the right
> kernel module driver for the sata hard drive. I googled around and
> discovered that I might need to modify the initrd.img file and add the
> proper sata_via module. I'm not sure if this is what I need to do so
> correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I am running Fedora Core 5.
>
> How do I modify this file?

It might be.

initrd is gzipped file, usually either of ext2 filesystem data (that can be
mounted using a loop device), or a cpio archive.

Best thing to do is probably to copy it (keep the original for a backup
until you are set) to a name you choose ending in .gz, gunzip it, then run
file on it. It will tell you if it's cpio archive or ext2 filesystem data.
If it's cpio, then run cpio -divu on it (at least -di), or if it's a loop
filesystem, mount it somewhere (specify -o loop).

When you are done copying the required kernel module into your initrd tree,
cpio to a new archive (or umount the filesystem), gzip the file, and clean
up the name to match your boot loader. Or see if you have a mkinitrd script
installed on your system which will do it for you (including copying loaded
kernel module object files and sizing the initrd appropriately).

Good luck!
~ Daniel