Re: [SLUG] Verizon V620 dropping calls in less than a minute

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 13:38:38 EDT

<200609021613.42741.petetheisen@verizon.net>, Pete Theisen
<petetheisen@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi Everybody!
>
> My Verizon National Access plan is getting increasingly inaccessible.
Since
> the broadband is up it now drops the calls in less than a minute. I
have to
> reconnect dozens of times just to get my SLUG mails, forget doing
research
> on
> the web.
>
> Verizon's tech support is only for Windows users, even level 3. I
took the
> piece to the store and they refreshed the database which made it
worse. It
> worked for 8 months at the lower speed in an ok, albeit very slow,
fashion.

> I never noticed it before this started, but when you take it out it
is quite

> hot, about like a heating pad.
>
> It could be the network, it used to only happen at night - turn half
the
> system off after 1:30 AM and save electricity sort- of- thing, but
now it is
> whenever. I sent a letter to Charlie Crist asking for an
investigation and
> the jailing of a few Verizon suits. I got a nice reply, but the card
still
> doesn't work.
>
> Anyone know anything about this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

For what it's worth, I just set this same card up on a co-worker's IBM
x40 running SLED10. It was fairly straightforward and now works like a
champ. The instructions I used were found here
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/17600.html . This card was
not a Kyocera and did not use ttyUSB0, but other than that it worked
like a champ. Hope that helps. I'd be curious what error's cause the
drop.